Newfoundland Tartan

It is a symbol of the province. Newfoundland Tartan has no connection to a specific clan but instead is a symbol for this province of Newfoundland, and Labrador in general. It was developed in 1955 by St. John's Tartan Society to commemorate and recognize the rich history and culture that the region has to offer. It is the official flag of Newfoundland and Labrador and was designed in the year 1955 in the year 1955 by Samuel B. Wilansky, an owner of a local business located on Water Street in St. John's. The tartan was officially registered with the Court of Lord Lyon in 1973. It was registered in the Court of Lord Lyon on 23rd March 1973. Newfoundland tartan is made up of brown, green white, and pale yellow. The design is also referred to; as the Newfoundland and Labrador tartan. The society wanted to create an identity that was distinctive to the province, and reflect the key elements of its history and culture. The patterns and colors in the tartan are picked to represent snow, the sea as well as the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, and the forest. The tartan was accepted by the Government in Newfoundland and Labrador in 1955 and since then has been utilized as a symbol for the province.
It is the Newfoundland Tartan that can be described as the only officially recognized tartan in the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador. It was developed as early as 1955, through the St. John's Tartan Society to represent the history and culture that the region has to offer. The tartan is composed of shades significant for the region, including blue to represent the sea white for snow and red to represent the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, and green to represent the forests. The design also holds significance with the thin blue lines that represent the fishing industry, and thin white lines that represent the industry of sealing. The thick green and red lines symbolize the forests and land of the province.