When one thinks of Scottish Dress and tradition, it is likely that the very first thing that will come to mind will be the kilt, as it is perhaps the most famous garment to come out of Scotland. Undoubtedly, the kilt is a very important part of Scottish tradition and culture, trousers or trews are every bit important, especially tartan trews. Tartan trews first came to be around in the 1530s, it allows Scottish men to express their Scottish heritage and pride without having to only wear kilts and were quite popular.
- Traditional Tartan Trews are tight around the lowers legs and loose around the upper leg and abdomen. Unlike other modern trews, which is cut straight (Horizontally or Vertically) on the cloth, on the diagonal bias.
- Additionally, it provides a traditional look because nowadays trews are back in full glory and can be worn by any Scotsmen in the chilly days of cold winter or as a style in the modern age.
- They are a nice, traditional alternative for someone who doesn’t want to wear kilts to an event but would still like to reflect their Scottish Heritage by wearing a traditional outfit.
Military-Style Scottish Trews
One of the most commonly seen trews come in the form of the military-style. These trews are very similar to the fishtail-style Scottish Trews, but there is one main difference between the two.
- The Military Trews have an appearance that makes them look seamless and sleek and offers a more sophisticated and immaculate look that is best suited in environments of strict dress such as the military.
- The pattern on the inside seam will always appear to be so perfectly matched that it will look as if there is nothing holding these two ends together and that it is instead made from a solid piece of fabric.
Fishtail Back Tartan Pants
Fishtail back tartan trew is another type of most easily recognizable styles of military tartan trews, made to be worn with Prince Charlie Jacket. It’s quite dressy, sophisticated and ideal for formal occasions such as weddings and other such ceremonies.
Argyll Tartan Trews
Argyll Tartan Trews are a more traditional trews type, that often made to look like standard suit pants that are known for their sheer versatility. They are a great choice for those who aren’t sure which trews to wear on which occasion. The difference between these two is that the trews tend to sit higher on the waist than standard suit trousers. This makes the measurement of the outside leg anywhere between two or three inches longer than standard trousers.
What to wear with tartan trews?
If you are hoping to wear Arygyll Tartan or Fishtail Tartan Trew then you can wear them in a more formal setting, you can simply dress it up using a full-length suit jacket, a short Prince Charlie jacket, or a smart tweed Argyll jacket all the same time.
For those who don’t really enjoy the look of high-waisted pants like the Argyll tartan trews has another option of Tartan Trousers. These are best suited for more casual wear, letting men who don’t want to go out kilted every day in a casual way still dress for their Scottish heritage. Tartan trousers give Scottish men a smart, stylish and traditional look with a slight modern upgrade. They are able to be worn just about anywhere like going to work or just out to a day event.
- These are among the most versatile options and, just like the Argyll tartan trews, they are best suited for those who aren’t sure what kind of trews to wear on what kind of occasions.
Your Scottish heritage is important to you, and fortunately, expressing your love of your nation is easier as a Scotsmen, thanks to the ability to do so through your preferred style of dress. At Scottish kilt Shop, we strive to offer you plenty of choices when it comes to traditional Scottish dress.
For this reason, we offer not only Kilts that are made to measure but tartan trews for sale as well. With these trews, we offer you plenty of tartan options for you to choose from, letting you find the one that is most stylish to you or the one that reflects your individualized Scottish heritage. Browse our selection of Scottish trews for sale today and start customizing your new favourite trews now.